Here are some useful hydration tips for you:
Before Your Run :
- Hydrate yourself with 5 to 7 ml per kilogram of body weight at least 4 hours before the run. This will allow time for excretion of excess fluid such as urine and also prevent you from searching around for toilets during the race.
- Weigh yourself before the run. Aim for not more than 2% weight loss after your run (refer to "After Your Run" below).
- Remember 1 kilogram weight loss = 1 litre fluid loss.
During Your Run :
- DO NOT rely on thirst to drink. Take in small amounts of fluid frequently.
- Look out for isotonic hydration points along the running route. Alternatively, carry bottles with markings to encourage drinking beyond the usual few gulps.
- Hydrate yourself with a sports drink after exercising for more than 1 hour. Studies have shown that sports drink provides essential carbohydrates and electrolytes, allowing you to keep going. The refreshing taste also encourages fluid intake.
After Your Run :
- Rehydrating after your run is crucial. Replace at least 1.5 times of your fluid loss over the period of 2 to 4 hours.
- Weigh yourself after the run and compare it with your weight before your run. For example, if your weight dropped from 60kg to 59kg, that means 1 litre of fluids has been lost. To fully rehydrate, you need to consume 1.5 litres (1.5 x 1kg) of fluids.
- Besides sports drink and plain water, you can also replace fluid loss by consuming foods like soups, smoothies and yoghurt over 2 to 4 hours to help you fully rehydrate.
Retrieved from http://www.hooha.asia at 11:11 pm 5/1/10